web stats

Saturday, July 22, 2006

Identity fraud my ...

Reading this article the first thing that came to my mind was my conversation with Citibank last weekend. After smoothly getting through to the "Finance associate" I was asked three questions to verify my identity.
1. What is your name?
2. What is your mother's maiden name?
3. What is your social security number?

Do these questions worry you? If no, read the third question again. They did not ask me for the last four but the WHOLE number. During a previous such conversation the associate had incessantly argued with me to give my complete social security number and that the associate could see my complete number on the screen. After somebody has given the three pieces of information and the address from the system, I wonder what is left to the imagination of an identity thief.

If you think I am blaming the Call center people in India. NO. They are doing what they have been trained to do. A financial organization like Citibank can commit such a "thoughtful" oversight despite its Jihad against identity theft is ridiculous.

A reliable source tells me that the Citibank in India is actually a franchise based out of Chennai and they also manage the call center for Citibank US. And, they do not need to worry about violating any identity issues that we have become so privy about in the west.

Link to the article. Click here.

0 comments: