web stats

Friday, January 11, 2008

I can feel it coming in the air tonight, Oh Lord!

But I know the reason why you keep your silence up, no you don't fool me
The hurt doesn't show; but the pain still grows
It's no stranger to you or me

If you are like me who has a constant urge to flip out a mobile computer to do something on the Internet then you would certainly understand what is in the air tonight. Before you jump into the urban legend around the song, I am talking - Wi-Fi.

Meraki is a SFO based community Wi-Fi provider suffering from same issue as numerous wonderful ideas that failed! If one visits their web site one will lose all hair scratching - WTP?!?! is this?

Meraki, the way I understand, is a very similar service as European Fon (also allows to make money just like SyncOne.net). A free community shared Wi-Fi. Marketted under a geeky "Mesh Network" concept that essentially means people buy a box from Meraki and share it with the community. The bandwidth or the connection speed is separate for the user from the community. Google failed miserably trying to bring Municipal Wi-Fi, I am hoping for Meraki to click. BTW, Google, I believe, has invested in them and will be serving ads to free users.

What I could not figure from their site:

  1. How exactly they work?
  2. What one gets for their $?

This post has reference to In the air tonight by Phil Collins.

0 comments: