web stats

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Not so horny bull!


The question has become synonymous with - "Why did the chicken cross the street?". Why did Zizou ram into Materazzi with his hornless head?

I have heard three versions of the story:
1. Nipple tweaking
2. Racial slur (as confirmed by lip reader)
3. All of above (insult to injury)

Irrespective, after twenty years of professional soccer, in last 10 minutes of your glorious career and almost a world cup, you lose your temper. Even though I rooted for you, gambled and made money on you - I do not think Zizou, you were right in what you did. What a shame.

The is not the first time Materazzi did what he did, he is known for it. My brother tells me that WC 1982 Italy had a similar player whose sole job was to distract and disturb players on the field. This is not Super Bowl, you are talking Soccer World Cup; player's get killed for making mistakes. Rooney was similarly red carded in the game against Portugal. Stepping in the groin was excusable but his behavior later got him the red card, which was a result of his short temper that Portugese took advantage of. Zizou too had done the same in the past and he fell victim of it.

However, I liked the way you got the guy. Seriously, it was one of those rare moments that I am going to cherish for a long time Zinedine Zidane. And, I give you a standing ovation for your performance and feel sorry that you could not get the same when you left the field.

As for FIFA, IMHO Materazzi should be banned for life if found guilty of racial slur. FIFA's slogan this WC was "Say no to racism". Otherwise, he did what he had to; again IMHO he should have been the man of the match.

Some interesting links of Zidane including videos of his brilliance. Click here.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, Zidane finally talked. his words, translated from the French by Le Lub (an alias):

"I apologize to all the kids who've seen it. My behavior is not
excusable. Of course it's not something to do. I insist on saying it
because it has been seen by 2 or 3 billions of people and millions and
millions of kids."

"Obviously, to them, I apologyze. and also to all the people, the
coaches/trainers who teach kids and show them things to do and not
to."

On the words Materazzi exactly said, Zidane said "it was very
personel, on my mother, my sister. very hard words, several times. You
listened to them ones, you try to go away. That's what I did, I'm
leaving. You listen twice and then, the third times..."

No question about the racist insult has been asked.

"I can't regret my act because that would mean he was right to say all
that. I can't, I can't, I can't say that. And no, he's not right on
saying what he said"

Zeya said...

Thanks Chhavi for the info. I still think he was wrong. This is prof. soccer and World cup. Does not matter who says and what and how many times. Chew lips, tongue or do anything but stupidity. Why did ZZ not go to the officials? His manager? He is history. He will never again play WC forget about winning one. Now, FIFA is talking about stripping him of the golden ball. Who is having the last laugh now?

Sumit Awasthi said...

I agree with Zeya. You are the captain of the team, you are supposed to lead the team, you can't resort to violence!
Okay, as usual this comment is too late, and no one gives a shit about Zidane. At least I dont!

Sumit Awasthi said...

BTW, another nice link.
http://www.dashes.com/anil/2006/07/11/zidane_world_cu

Zeya said...

Swash, the link you gave does not work.